Blueberries are a superfood packed with many different health benefits. They are rich in fiber, vitamin C, and a broad spectrum of phytochemicals that have shown antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Additionally, blueberries are known to offer different beauty benefits.
5 Health Benefits of Blueberries
- Flavonoids found in blueberries are strongly associated with lower levels of inflammation markers and have shown the potential to prevent DNA damage.
- Blueberry anthocyanin extracts protect retinal pigment cells against light-induced damage.
- Regular and moderate intake of blueberries may reduce cardiovascular risk, may lower neurological decline, and may lower the risk of Parkinson’s disease or slow the disease progression.
- Blueberry intake can improve ocular health and offset macular degeneration.
- Blueberries may reduce urinary tract infections, according to Harvard Medical School.
Beauty in Blueberries
Blueberry anthocyanin extracts have been reported as a potentially effective agent to prevent signs of skin aging and protect the skin from external injuries caused by UV radiation and free radicals.
3 Fun Facts About Blueberries
- Blueberries have 38% more free-radical fighters or antioxidants than red wine.
- One cup of blueberries has 4 grams of fiber, which is almost 20% of the fiber we need in a day.
- Blueberries can reduce inflammation by feeding healthy gut flora.
*Note: If quality fresh blueberries are not available, frozen blueberries can be just as beneficial. Frozen berries retain most nutrients and protective phytochemicals for months.
Blueberries are a perfect addition to smoothies, yogurt, fruit salads, and green salads. Include blueberries in your usual diet, and whenever possible, choose fresh or frozen blueberries over canned or dehydrated.
The recipes of the week: Blueberry Pineapple Ginger Smoothie
- 3/4 cup frozen pineapple
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 handful baby spinach or baby kale thoroughly washed
- 1/3 tsp fresh ginger
- 1.5 coconut milk or low-fat milk
Optional half ripe banana
Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.